Welcome to Shimla
Shimla District lies between the longitude 77o-0″ and 78o-19″ east and latitude 30o-45″ and 31o-44″ north. It is bounded by Mandi and Kullu in the north, Kinnaur in the east,the state of Uttaranchal in the south, Sirmaur, district in the west.
The elevation of the district ranges from 300 to 6000 metres.
History of Shimla goes back to the period of Anglo-Gurkha war in the beginning of 19th century. In 1804 the Gurkhas, who had suffered a severe defeat at the hands of the Sikhs at the battle of Kangra, a hill fortress about sixty miles from Shimla, where according to some accounts they lost thousand of men in the fight and many others from disease, commenced to ravage the states and hills surrounding Shimla. Gurkhas built many forts around Shimla.
One of these strongholds, the Jagatgarh fortress, was the origin of the modern Jutogh, the well known military
cantonment adjoining Shimla. By 1808 the invaders had conquered all the fortified posts between the Jamuna and Satluj,
and from their capital Arki began their ruthless rule over the neighbouring hill states, untill at length the people in their wretchedness appealed to the British for help.
A small British force under Major General ‘Sir David Ochterlony’ was despatched to liberate the hill men from Gurkhas.
Present day Shimla District comprises of 19 erstwhile hill states mainly Balson, Bushahr, Bhaji and Koti, Darkoti, Tharoch & Dhadi,Kumharsain, Khaneti & Delath, Dhami, Jubbal , Keothal, Rawingarh, Ratesh, Sangri. Bushahr was one of the oldest of the hill states after Kashmir in the Western Himalayas. According to one legend . Jubbal one of the Shimla . it became independent. Raja Karam Chand was the founder of the Jubbal State.
Jubbal merged with the Indian Union afterindependence and became a part of Himachal Pradesh on 15th April, 1948.
Shimla District in its present form came into existence from 1st September 1972 on the reorganisation of the districts of the state. After the reorganisation , the erstwhile Mahasu district lost its entity and its major portion was merged with Shimla. Shimla district derives its name from Shimla town, the district headquarters and now state capital of Himachal Pradesh.
The Shimla District comprises of : 7 Sub-Divisions, 12 Tehsils and 6 Sub Tehsils.
Shimla is the Capital Town of Himachal Pradesh. It was formerly the summer capital during the British Rule. The town of Shimla is built over several hills and connecting ridges. The important hills are Jakhu(8050 ft), Prospect Hill (7140 ft), Observatory Hill ( 7050 ft), Elysium Hill (7400 ft), and Summer Hill (6900 ft). There is a great controversy over the origin of the name Shimla.
The name Shimla was derived from ‘Shyamalaya’ meaning blue house said to be the name of house built of blue slate by a faqir on Jakhu. According to one version Shimla takes it name from ‘Shamla’ meaning a blue female anothername for Goddess Kali.
It was only in 1819 A.D. that the then Assistant Political Agent of hill states Lt. Ross set up first British residence, a mere wood cottage.
In 1864 Shimla was declared as the summer capital of India. After Independence, Shimla became the capital of Punjab and was later named the capital of Himachal Pradesh. In 1903 a rail line was constructed between Kalka and Shimla.
In 1946 leaders of the Indian nationalist movement came to Shimla for a crucial conference that paved the way to Independence. Shimla’s legacy of British control has left in somewhat of Aesthetic anomaly: an Indian town, a state capital, no less that looks and feels like a village in Northern England.